DISTANCE LEARNING: HOW TO APPLY
Download the Distance Learning Prospectus
Download the Distance Learning Fee Sheet
Download the Distance Learning Enrolment Form
Download the MA by Distance Learning Application Form
How do I apply to study for personal development?
The application process is straightforward as there are no entry criteria.
- Contact the Open Learning Department for an application form.
- Complete the application form by selecting the module you want to take.
- Send the form back to us, together with your payment. It normally takes us between a week and ten days to process your order and send your study material.
How do I apply to study for an undergraduate qualification?
We encourage you to try distance learning first before deciding on which qualification to aim for. The demands of studying at home are significantly different to those in a classroom or lecture theatre, and so we believe it is better to have the confidence that you can meet those challenges before making a formal application.
- Complete an application form, available from the Open Learning Department. (If you talk to someone at the Reception Desk at LST or in Registry, please make it clear that you are interested in becoming a distance learning student, and need a distance learning application pack, not a prospectus.)
- Return the medical certificate completed by your doctor and the names of three referees. We will then take up those references, look at the study you have done so far (if any) and make an initial decision based on that information.
- Occasionally we need to discuss your application further before we can make a final decision. We may contact you by email or phone, or invite you to a formal interview. This may be either at LST or at a convenient location not far from your home.
- When we offer you a place, we would like, if possible, for you to attend one of our Saturday study days at LST. This is not for a formal interview, but will give you the opportunity to meet with members of the School staff, possibly including a distance learning tutor, to have an informal discussion about your application, and to receive some excellent teaching.
We would also like you to meet with a representative of the School at a convenient location not far from your home, to chat informally over your experience thus far, and the future meetings for your locality. Initial proposals for your practical training will also be discussed at this point. We appreciate that for a very small number of students it will not be feasible to come to LST, or even to meet with a tutor. Once you have explained your situation, we will do everything possible to accommodate your situation.